« Home | Palapa Control to Major Tom » | Beautiful Mist » | Free! » | More on the Roof » | Two Sides Almost Done » | July 6 » | Bend and Snap » | A Breif Bit of Work. » | No Progress » | Roof Line »

Fin.

July 26th - Almost 4 months later.

Today I yet again received a call from Will regarding campus palm trimmings and beat feet over to campus. It took me a while but I found them hidden in the Library walk way, trimming away. They recognized me and were friendly. I parked on the sidewalk and loaded up the Volvo for a second time.. I loaded it up good. This time I'd have fauns left over for sure. With the car loaded, I tied the palms down and asked them where they’d be next and headed home.


Again I got home, took a 15 min break, and went to work in the horrid heat making this things compete.

Today is the the completion date for my palapa. I got the whole thing done to the tip. I don’t know if this really has any importance to you, but in my mind it’s kind of like finally moving out of boxes after you’ve lived in your first house for a while. You kind of remember it as the real date you moved in. I've had parties under an incomplete palapa, foosball tournaments, and just random friends check the place out, but I was still living out of boxes. Today I flatned and recycled those brown beasts and they were no more. The palapa was complete, I was done. This is great. Please come and enjoy.


A breif photolog of the last stages of the build:


It's done! Next we need a little rain and a lot of sun to flatten the new roof down and bake it to a golden brown. Then the next upgrade will be sand and a plaque, perhaps a bottle of champagne.

Two Months produced:

A 14'x14' square with a 10.5' high pitched roof, and more than 400 palm leaves covering 3 hammocks, 6 strings of Target brand decor light balls, 16 misters, ___ feet of redwood, 120 pounds of cement, and a couple of comfortable Tucsonans.

this is awesome! can you build one in norcal next - for those hot 55 degree bay area summer nights?

Thanks so much for posting this great info. We just bought a house with a huge palapa. It will need to be renovated one day. If I can't figure it out, do you guys offer your services for hire?

Thanks!
Paul

PS - We are in Tucson too.

Post a Comment